Easy Mid-Week Meal – Gluten-free | Dairy-free | Nut-free | Vegan
This is a quick and easy family meal to make – great for Meat-Free Mondays! The chickpeas are a great source of plant-based protein and fibre. Serve with veggies on the side, or add to the stew during the cooking process – grate first to cook quicker!
I’m always on the hunt for easy, quick recipes that the kids will enjoy too. This recipe is pretty forgiving, so you can switch around the spices if you don’t have some of these in your spice rack. Try cinnamon, paprika, cumin, ginger and cloves for an alternative Moroccan flavour. Ready in 20!
Easy Moroccan Chickpea Stew
Time: 20 minutes | Serves: 4
What you need:
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth/stock
- 2 onions (medium, diced)
- 2 cups chickpeas (cooked, rinsed) or 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or paprika
- 3 tomatoes (large, diced) or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/3 cup pitted Medjool dates (chopped)
What you do:
- Add the stock and the onions to a pot over medium heat. Cook for about 3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne pepper. Continue to cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, and the dates to the pot and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide between bowls and enjoy with a side of steamed vegetables and quinoa, rice or mashed potato.
P.S. Photos to come!